Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Polyphasic Sleep Schedule - Shifting Gears

During the week of Thanksgiving I took a few vacation days so that I could have nine straight days off of work. I observed, as I've noted before, that a Polyphasic Sleep Schedule is a kind of unstable equilibrium - you can stay on it, but it takes some attention and a little effort.

During my vacation I pretty much let both go completely. As a result, by the end of the week I was pretty much back to a Monophasic schedule, and didn't really feel much urge to nap during the day.

I was of course curious to see if there would be any challenge to switching back. The real question, once Monday rolled around and I was back to reality: to Polyphase, or not to Polyphase?

I chose to Polyphase, if for no other reason than to test whether the transition would be easy or hard.

Thankfully, I found it quite easy. In fact, my Noon and 5pm naps on Monday were two of the most superb 20-minute naps I think I've had in a long while... perhaps the best since the beginning of the experiment.

I do wonder whether it would have been a tougher transition had I been Monophasic for, say, a month before trying to switch back. I seem to recall that Steve Pavlina wanted to try switching back to a Polyphasic schedule, but I don't know if he ever tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment